SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: "Becoming a new self"  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Cataro

"Becoming a new self"
« on: March 27, 2020, 03:15:34 AM »
Hi, I'm just a little confused.
To become this new person, can I still keep on feelings from the past like good nostalgia and such?
I notice Joe say in newer videos that "you should decide what feelings from the past you'd like to bring to the future".
And if it's true that the healed people are grateful for the disease they had because it led them to this meditation and new self etc, well that means they carry good feelings from the past to the future or no?

Sorry if I sound dumb, just a bit confused.
I like best the idea about adding positives and subtracting negatives to the selfie I have built rather than becoming a whole new self.. makes sense? But I also get now that myself is mainly the creator and not what I've created

Offline Walk in Beauty

Re: "Becoming a new self"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:01:20 AM »
Great to ponder!

I had to let go of the past completely on my journey, so much was wound up in negative I could not untangle it. And that was what I needed to do at that time.

A couple of months ago I saw in in meditation I that my past was withered and dead tree laying in the ground, “not even worth gathering up for kindling a fire” was what I said when I saw it. I realized I had many many wonderful memories and a terrific nurturing family, it was just that some events had been so devastating they had altered the trajectory midway. I am working on reclaiming that lovely childhood I was blessed with, and in meditation I see those happy times and feel them, live them. Now my past is a thriving, supple young tree growing strong, sending down deep roots securing me to the earth, able to withstand the whatever weather comes my way, growing bigger and stronger everyday.

So yes, take the good with you on your journey, it is the negative that is let go of.

Offline CourageAndRoses

• Answer: Love Yourself
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
Hello, you ask a great question actually. It is different with everyone, but usually once you get to a point in the work you can look at your past without the emotional charge and just be wise/grateful about it all as it lead you to this moment. I cannot look at my past self with anything other than forgiveness, love and compassion. And just that alone makes me feel at peace with myself. And so much more conscious and aware, too.

As Joe says memory without the emotional charge is called wisdom.

Now, when I began the work and started creating my new self, I went for just wanting to feel good, feel gratitude, feel at peace with myself first of all, and then everything else on the outside. There are moments in my life before I started this work that I did feel gratitude, did feel happy and love - so in the beginning I channeled those just to give me a boost. In one lecture Dr Joe did in Australia I think it was, a similar question of can I use the good memories of my past to bring the feel good emotions to kick start things. You can, but keep your intention and attention on the things you are working on i.e. future self and how they would be whilst staying in the generous present moment.

Then the daydreaming and the imagining all the awesome things started and those fuelled the generation of positive emotions.

I have been doing the work for three years, non stop, and have found that in the process of becoming my new self, that the old self things fall away naturally - no effort - no pushing or forcing.

And I think it has to be that way because if we woke up one morning and had a whole new personality and a whole new way of thinking we would think we'd lost it.

So to generate those positive emotions, those elevated emotions in the beginning to boost you - as walk in beauty said, those past good memories are great - just let the other stuff go. ^^

Blessings.
Answer: Love Yourself

Offline Radbeh

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »
I think you can and there's no reason to hold back. There are two things here; feeling and memories.

As CourageAndRoses mentioned, memory without the emotional charge is wisdom. But that's memory, not the feeling. You want to remember a beautiful moment with the feelings associated with it, for instance, the first time you hold your child in your arms, or your first kiss. You don't want to throw that away. And here's why you don't need to do so and why it's absolutely possible and fine to keep them;

The past only exists in the body and the brain. And we know emotion is the final product of the experience. The environment signals the brain and creates a unique neuro-net, that activates either the sympathetic nervous system or parasympathetic nervous system signals the respective glands, releases respective chemicals, and the memory shapes - mind transforms to matter in this process because the environment in the form of light (waves) through our eyes signals the brain and wave is information. The stronger the environment, the stronger synaptic connections, and longer the memory.

Both chemical and mostly electrical results of those synaptic connections (in this case a positive order from the environment) will upregulate the genes and create better proteins. So, when you are crossing the river from the old self to the new self (upregulated genes, better proteins, healed/healthier body - no cancer, tumor, etc) you are rewiring the neuro-nets that are responsible for downregulated genes and the positive memories are separate neurocircuits that actually are aligned with what you are creating (new neurocircuits) as the new self.
In other words, if the memories and feelings are creating better proteins, that's what you want. You just want a whole a lot more of that : )

You don't necessarily need a brainwash to become your new self.

I hope I could make sense.

Cheers

Offline Kunalsingh3

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 12:47:32 AM »
I have been living in anxiety from past 3 years for a mistake that I have done, I got to know about book breaking habit of being yourself. The problem I m facing is that I can't think any thing positive for my future everything seems to be negative because I m a negative person. Other thing is if I think positive, I can't feel the feeling of that event happening in future. Every time my past emotional behavior comes back telling me to be guilty every time. What are the steps that I can break it & also get the feeling of thinking on an incident happening in future

Offline The23rdman

• When the wheel stops...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 04:57:02 AM »
I have been living in anxiety from past 3 years for a mistake that I have done, I got to know about book breaking habit of being yourself. The problem I m facing is that I can't think any thing positive for my future everything seems to be negative because I m a negative person. Other thing is if I think positive, I can't feel the feeling of that event happening in future. Every time my past emotional behavior comes back telling me to be guilty every time. What are the steps that I can break it & also get the feeling of thinking on an incident happening in future

In future just post one question to the forum instead of the same question on lots of posts. :)
Follow me on Instagram @When_the_wheel_stops