SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: spasticity during meditation  (Read 401 times)

Offline Thekla

spasticity during meditation
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:14:52 AM »
I have done the online workshops and have been meditating for about a month.  I am currently am in a wheelchair with ms and spasticity is common.  I have noticed that frequently during meditations, my legs start to get spastic and jumpy.  It seems to be as I relax more deeply or my brain slows into theta (?) and it stops as soon as I open my eyes.  It also happens just before I fall asleep.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this?  In bed, I lay on the jumpy leg to pin it to the bed but seated during a meditation, that doesn't work and it is disturbing.  Yesterday, I attended a 1 day seminar and during both meditations, my legs jumped, although they were fine the rest of the day.  I started to feel as though I was tumbling in space and then the leg(s) started.  I love that feeling and the legs mute it.  I forgot to add, the only other time this bothers me is when I am in bed trying to fall asleep.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:52:06 AM by Thekla »

Offline Walk in Beauty

Re: spasticity during meditation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
At the recent Vancouver Advanced Workshop Dr Joe had 6 people up on the stage to show how they felt energy while doing the Pineal meditation, it is amazing how some of them moved about involuntarily , and as soon as the music began.

You may want to let the jumpiness have it’s way, it seems to be a part of the healing energy moving through you.
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline Thekla

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:44 AM »
Thank you!  I will try to just let it be.  It just feels like a disruption, bringing me back.

Offline Walk in Beauty

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »
A woman in a testimonial overcame her distraction by becoming a vast ocean, when the distraction came she felt it as a swell in the surface but the ocean rode over and managed it.

In my Advanced Workshop Dr Joe brought 6 people on stage for us to see a range of reactions to meditation and the body reactions can get extremely active. If this is a part of your healing you may want to go with it.
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline Thekla

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 03:28:07 AM »
I don't know.  It is not getting any better.  I just tried a short open focus meditation and right away, one leg tightened up (first sign of spasticity) and then started to cramp up, then the other leg.  I'm try to focus on space and the muscles just keep tensing and keeping a part of my brain active, just to calm them down.  The spasticity comes in waves, so I end up switching back and forth between energy and space and calm the legs down.  I can sit at the computer doing other stuff with no problem but start meditating and boom.  I love meditating but this is totally taking the fun out of it.  I can't get deep enough to even lose track of time.  It is hard to look forward to struggling and it really doesn't feel like there is any benefit this way.  It only really stops when I stop. meh

Offline Walk in Beauty

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:57:46 AM »
I ear to  technique in my many years of counseling that has helped me with physical distractions. The illustration was imagine you aim badly hit your thumb with a hammer- there is that second or two where the pain has not reached your brain yet. Focus completely on your thumb and feel all the pain you can possibly muster. This supposedly fatigues the nerve cells and the pain is greatly lessened.

I do this with an itch or urge to sneeze and it usually works.

Also do not feel you must be seated and upright to meditate if that causes any physical troubles for you. I was flat on my back healing when I did the online Progressive Workshop and I manifest tons of stuff. Dr Joe was flat on his face while he healed his crushed back. The important thing is your focus, not your posture.
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline Thekla

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:44:25 AM »
Thank you!  I will try focusing on it first.  I am stuck in my chair atm, because I need help to transfer. 

I have another question.  When Dr Joe healed his back, he reconstructed it piece by piece.  Isn't that using the brain to steer the process?  In the meditations we are to forget our bodies and be pure consciousness and that seems different from the process he used then which sounds more like a very detailed visualization. 

Offline Walk in Beauty

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
Well, it was part of Dr joe’s Process at the time... was he visualizing the outcome of a healthy back? He also pictured himself in the simple pleasure of sitting on the beach enjoying the sunset, which he was far from able to do at the time he meditative don it. Do both help accomplish it?

I find a lot of success happens to me when I don’t sweat the how of what I am doing. If I am enjoying my meditations that pretty much seals the deal that my wish is being granted.
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline Jewell

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 01:47:58 PM »
Here is are two articles explaining movement during meditation
https://www.meditationoasis.com/blog/2009/01/09/body-movements-in-meditation
https://chopra.com/articles/what’s-the-significance-of-sensations-during-meditation
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:51:57 PM by Jewell »

Offline Thekla

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 05:12:29 AM »
Well, I really think it is the ms.  I don't take drugs for it.  Since it has been so disturbing, I decided to try do the meditations standing up (standing wheelchair).  This mostly keeps the spasticity at bay, until I sit afterwards. 

The next issue was falling asleep!  I have been doing the Boxes and after the first time, I would start out and then hear him say, return to your body!  That is frustrating.  I don't know whether I am totally gone or not.  This morning I did it first thing and couldn't remember anything between 'relax your body, more' and 'return to your body'.  So I made myself a double espresso and tried again!  That time I did hear most, if not all of it. 

Offline Walk in Beauty

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:10:07 AM »
When the universe sees you making the effort it’s like your parent excited seeing you finally come home for a visit, they love it and they’ve been waiting for you!

Don’t be concerned you aren’t doing right, just keep on keeping on, have fun!
Walk in Beauty 💫