SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Having trouble elevating emotions  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Having trouble elevating emotions
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
Hi Neuronaut,
As a beginner, I encounter often the same question you have.
 One thing I have found is to relate to a past event where I felt an elevated emotion. My recalling that event, I feel that feeling.
Another thing is, if I can’t reach an elevated emotion, I try at least to get to feel a certain emotion is at least greater even a little bit more then The “ non-elevated” emotion have felt.  And by doing that, I am climbing step-by-step, meditation by meditation.
 Otherwise, I tune into gratitude.  Even the simplest. Here is a quote from another post I wrote I need with the  practice I’m doing.
[size=78%]For me, as a beginner, I triy the following in order to touch gratitude:[/size]
  • When there is something big in my present or past to be grateful for, I mentally rehearse that event, discussion, and counter and review the feeling I have/had 
  • Otherwise, in order to do big, I start small :  I practice, for something like fall five minutes, to say thank you to any possible little thing in my life. Literally, to the so-called smallest and banal things.  For being awake, for seeing, walking, breathing, having food etc.  I just keep on saying the phrase " I am grateful for… "  and I completed with anything that comes up.
  • In the same way, I take a sample moments during the day to appreciate things that seem obvious: the coffee receive in the coffee shop, the bus that is driving me through town,  The persons who are working in the electricity company etc...
  • For me, this is kind of thankfulness yoga, working the gratitude muscle.It seems to me that it will help me to practice more and more mentally rehearsing the future and the gratitude related to it. [/l][/l][/l][/l]

All the best.
Adam

[/list]
🙏

Offline DawnM

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 04:54:16 AM »
Thank you Walk in Beauty.  Your comments are always so helpful to everyone.  He should put you on staff!
Just yesterday I started to be able to feel the positive emotions at the end.  I so love this work and am looking forward to continuing and deepening this practice.
Blessings,
Dawn

Offline DawnM

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 04:59:24 AM »
Hello again Walk in Beauty.
I noticed you put a link for mind movies in one of your comments but when I click on it it only brings me to the home page of Dr. Joe's website....

Offline Minnie

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to add my experience around difficulties creating elevated emotions and hopefully it may help others too.

I too had the same concerns that my elevated emotions weren't elevated enough and/or were too flat.  I was fine with the meditations, however, when it came to mentally rehearsing and creating elevated emotions I became stuck.  It wasn't until I watched the pre material to the Progressive that I realised the concerns were just "chatter" as Dr Joe puts it.  It may be the analytical mind over analysing and fits in to the same category as "start tomorrow" or "it won't work for you" and other examples that are used by Dr Joe.  So I decided that Iwasn't going to analyse my emotions and as long as what I was feeling wasn't negative it was fine.  It was then that I got out of the way of myself and let me "real self" take over and the elevated emotions came naturally. 

What I'm trying to say is, don't overanalyse it and just ensure the state you go in to isn't one of stress or fear or negative emotions and get beyond yourself.

I hope that helps, I know it did for me.

Minnie

Offline Walk in Beauty

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
For DawnM,

On the Dr Joe website HOME PAGE, look under RESOURCES, then under NEWS. The Mind movies are one of that list.
Walk in Beauty 💫