SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Dozing Off...  (Read 147 times)

Offline jimmytiler

Dozing Off...
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
Hi All. I have been attempting meditation with 'Becoming Supernatural' and I am really trying with the breathing and focusing, however, I find I doze off and lose focus on what I'm doing; going into dreamland only to be jolted back by a dramatic sound in the meditation mp3. I'm presuming some may say 'this is part of the experience' but it just feels like I'm taking a quick nap. I have tried meditating different times of the day; morning, noon, and late afternoon but no luck. Desperately need help with this as it is really frustrating. Thanks.

Offline Walk in Beauty

Re: Dozing Off...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:40:34 PM »
That happened a lot to me. I had to whisper the instructions under my breath, reword them, add some instructions of my own, both to keep my mind from wandering and to stay awake. It is all okay, don’t be concerned you are not catching on. Like riding a bicycle or or learning how to read it is totally going to feel uncoordinated and even difficult. Keep up a daily and even twice daily practice and you will progress just fine. Meditation is my most favorite part of my day now, the communion with my soul and the cosmos is better than anything else in my world.
, and because of it my relationships in the work a day world are vastly superior to pre Dr Joe life 🙂
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline jimmytiler

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice Walk in Beauty; it has been discouraging in my failed attempts but I think I will add in that extra session per day 👍🏼

Offline jennifertowner

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 12:26:13 PM »
I've been doing the water rising meditation from breaking the habit. I do it before bed. I was doing it sitting up but I was still feeling a little too "let's sleep because you are in your bed!".
I have started doing it in my living room before I go to bed and it's getting better. I say just keep going. You will figure out what works for you.

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »

In Zen meditation they talk about two states which are out of balance:
Overexcited and falling asleep.
For the  falling asleep one, they recommend taking some intense accentuated inhales ( this brings oxygen in and helps you wake up )  and then return to the normal breathing.
I used it during the meditations.
I use it now with Dr. Joe’s meditations when needed.
🙏

Offline soulsurfer

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:02 PM »
That happened a lot to me. I had to whisper the instructions under my breath, reword them, add some instructions of my own, both to keep my mind from wandering and to stay awake. It is all okay, don’t be concerned you are not catching on. Like riding a bicycle or or learning how to read it is totally going to feel uncoordinated and even difficult. Keep up a daily and even twice daily practice and you will progress just fine. Meditation is my most favorite part of my day now, the communion with my soul and the cosmos is better than anything else in my world.
, and because of it my relationships in the work a day world are vastly superior to pre Dr Joe life 🙂

You cured your anxiety in 4 months using the. BHBY meditation? Can you share more like. how bad your anxiety was, etc? Did you focus on just on habit to break or multiple? I have anxiety and looking for help with it. Thank you!!

Offline soulsurfer

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 07:23:03 PM »

Sorry for he additional questions, were there other meditations you found helpful?

Offline Walk in Beauty

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
I had done a lot of years of therapy, telling and reliving the traumas I have had, group therapies, women’s groups fashioned by therapist telling our troubles. My anxiety wasn’t debilitating, just a constant ickiness dragging my mood to bad places, making me dissatisfied with who I was, finding faults in myself and everyone around me, blaming myself and others for this stress filled life.

Then a friend lent me her copy of Breaking the Habit and I made my own recordings of the meditations in the appendix, and read the book onto voice record app and listened to it constantly meditating morning and night. Dr Joe says working on one negative emotion is like working on all of them so I bounced to what ever negative was foremost that day. What I found was ALL negative emotions begin with a sudden feeling of foreboding, edginess, waiting for the bad thing to happen... before you even can put a name to which emotion is starting that creepy feeling was seeping in... as soon as I felt “ick” beginning, yelling “CHANGE” and stuffing in the  pre practiced elevated emotion, I had no full blown mood to conquer, just a little tingle of “ick” to flick off like fleck of dust on my arm with a cocky, self satisfied grin. It is so lovely living without any foreboding dark cloud hanging over my life. Nicer still is how my positive mood is not attractive to cranky people, they don’t want to be around people who don’t reinforce their opinions and attitudes, so that also is a great liberation.

I was so elated with becoming happy that I had all I asked for and did maintenance meditations, only when I felt my moods slipping, like three times a week on average. Then the friend who lent me her book convinced me I should go to an advanced workshop like she had just returned from, so I did the prerequisites online workshops and read Becoming Supernatural, joined this forum, and with a group here that has long since dissolved, committed to a same time everyday never miss a day meditation: and boy did I learn how to manifest material things! I have significantly improved my health issues, my joy in life is effortless and boundless.

Then when I went to the advanced workshop this past February and lived in meditation and self discovery for a solid week it provided me a even more tools and avenues to explore. My practice at home is my favorite part of the day I look forward to all day long, it feels so fantastic to recharge and rejuvenate!

I do have many of the meditations and mix them up. I make the letter focus scripts (in BSN and the online workshop) and listen to recordings of them, I still speak along during the long pauses in the meditations to lull myself deeper into the no thing, I review my transcripts and notes I took of the workshops. I seek out similar scientific and spiritual sources that bolster my belief, preferring this use of my time to reading a novel or watching a movie.
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline viki

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 02:46:30 AM »
I sleep if I sit on chairs with support to my head and neck. It helps to remove support to head or even my back. Makes it harder to sleep. The most important thing is to keep following the meditation even if we fall asleep for 2minutes or so. Just keep following it as if we did not fall asleep.

Online karopega

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 01:27:33 AM »

In Zen meditation they talk about two states which are out of balance:
Overexcited and falling asleep.
For the  falling asleep one, they recommend taking some intense accentuated inhales ( this brings oxygen in and helps you wake up )  and then return to the normal breathing.
I used it during the meditations.
I use it now with Dr. Joe’s meditations when needed.

thats a good advice. When I meditate early morning. I have trouble keeping awake. Will try it out. Thank you