SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Dealing with strong emotions during meditation  (Read 359 times)

Offline Adam

Dealing with strong emotions during meditation
« on: June 06, 2019, 12:31:28 AM »
Hello,

This morning I planned to do the "reconditioning the body to a new mind" meditation.
Even before sitting to meditate, I noticed a strong current off emotions like anger, hurt and sadness.
Therefore, during the breathing part, I have set the intention to pull up those emotions, the images and situations and people related to them, the top of the head so to be processed.

During the induction and moving into the meditation, these emotions became stronger and stronger.  In the past, during the BHBY meditation, I had already the practice of dealing with distracting emotions,  by returning again and again to the meditation object.

However, this morning the emotions were so overwhelming that I had to interrupt the meditation.
Instead, I repeated again the breathing part and then did some heart coherence.
It seemed to me to be the appropriate alternative, and yet doing some practice before moving on to the day.

I Would appreciate so much to know if you had similar experiences and how you dealt with overwhelming emotions during meditation.

Thank you for your attention,
Adam
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:35:21 AM by Adam »
🙏

Offline Walk in Beauty

Re: Dealing with strong emotions during meditation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »
As one goes further into awakening it is a natural process to vomit up the past. Bravely facing it, whether a transgression you perpetrated, or one you were the victim of, searching for the lesson you need to learn from it and applying it to your life is the quickest way to get through it.

I am sorry to tell you this is only the start. The good news is it at last comes to an end, or at least when new mortifications come up you have learned to stop judging and replace compassion both for yourself and others.

So when you can’t shake a negative emotion, feel it and recall the first time that feeling plagued you. See the memory as a lesson and get that crap worked up your energy centers and out of your body forever.

Some situations don’t even have anything to do with your current life, it is energy (karma) from a past life relationship. So the more you stop judging others and living in a constant state of happiness the easier it is to step out of the energy, a put an end to a cosmic tit for tat.
Walk in Beauty 💫

Offline Maria Caro

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
Hello!
I had a similar experience today in my mediation. It started very well, although I was having difficulty staying in the present moment, it was a normal transition. I was doing the "reconditioning your body to a new mind" meditation and in my case I felt fear, very strong and powerful fear. I tried very hard to stay connected to the unknown and slowly began to feel reassurance from .... the unknown. When it ended I was feeling a little bit better, but being afraid of the fear!  (as silly as it sounds). I was even afraid to talk about it to my husband but then I realize that nothing was going to come out of mor fear so I let it out and that brought me to a very profund realization that I am still pondering.
I am glad to read that I am not the only one who has had this experience and any additional advise or insight is more than welcome.
Thank you!

Offline AKStonez

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
I love what Walk in Beauty had to say.  I'd like to add that in addition to the more cerebral work of following the memories back and contemplating the lessons....when those emotions FIRST come up, let go of the mind and logic and allow yourself to completely feel those emotions.  Let.Them.Out!!!!  Cry, scream into a pillow, beat your mattress, yell, wail, yell that person off in all the ways you wish you could have when they hurt you, grieve, hell, you might even want to throw up!  Just let it ALL OUT.  And when you come back to calmness and find yourself basking in the still peace of it, follow the trauma back to the origin, find the lessons and make the connections, invite your hurt parts back into your heart to become whole once again. LOVE yourself. Journal it all. <3

Offline Maria Caro

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »
Wow! thank you! I was not expecting this advice.. but it makes so much sense! thank you, thank you